Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Remembering 9/11

I didn't plan on writing this post today. I'm usually not one to publicly talk about "remembering" terrible events or even things that happen in the news. Everyone gets so caught up in the news and media, (hey I'm a media person, so I'm not judging) so why does anyone really need to know my thoughts and opinions on such topics?

However, on my drive into work this morning, I tuned in to one of my favorite morning shows, The Bert Show, and heard their "9/11 Remembrance segment". As I was listing to the recording of them recount the tragic events of that day, as it happened, I immediately was taken back to the day as well. Remembering all the feelings and emotions I had; it was a surreal several minutes for me. I remember over the past years hearing that my generation will have something to look back on and say "I remember that, I was doing..." So, this is my memory of September 11, 2001....

I was a sophomore taking the ISTEP. I was in Mrs. Hemmingway's class; we had just taken be released for a break. As we emerged into the halls, noticing the lack of the normal busyness, we quickly realized that something was happening. As we passed classrooms, we realized that nearly every teacher had the TV on and the rooms filled with students were in complete silence.

What was going on? After promptly heading back to our classroom, Hemmingway had already flipped on the her TV; seeming as though she had already been notified but let us finish our testing. That's when we learned of the news and sat there and just watched.

It wasn't until probably 10-15 minutes that a thought hit me, and it hit me hard: My dad was out of town on a business trip. Where was he again? Wasn't he suppose to fly home today?  Did mom say he was in New Jersey or New York? Oh my God. Where is my Dad? Why didn't I care more about where my dad was traveling to?

After that moment of panic, I don't remember how or when I ended up in the school office on the sectratery's phone with my mom, crying and speaking though almost hysterical tears "where's dad? Is dad ok?" My mom, being one of the most calming and gentle people I know, calmed me down and informed me that Dad was safe, he was in New Jersey; he was fine. I believe after I hung up, my mom called my guidance counselor to make sure I was ok, because I know I ended up in his office for a brief meeting, sometime thereafter. 

I know we continued on with our testing, and that it was a very long day. I remember getting home and hugging my mom for what felt like hours, as I feel like most people did when I they realized that the one's they love most where safe and sound.  I remember being glued to the TV the rest of the night, watching the same footage over and over again. Isn't it funny of in times of crisis people are completely content on watching the same news loop over and over for hours at a time, just hoping, knowing, that something new will be shared, some new developments will become available?

Anyways, that was my memory of that horrific day in history. One of the few that have happened thus far in my life.

-Lauren


No comments: