Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Baby Tessa's Birth Story

On Friday, August 29th, our family of three became a family of four! After a few weeks, I'm still having a hard time comprehending that I'm a mommy of two now. Probably because baby is so new, but I'm sure I'll get use to it. But I figured it would be a good idea to write down Tessa's birth story now before life with two gets a little crazy. So here goes...

Mommy and Baby Tessa 
Tessa Elizabeth was due on Sept. 1st but my water broke the morning of Aug. 29th. At 4am I was woken abruptly to my water breaking. While we are waiting for grandma and grandpa to come we woke up Sophia to tell her that her lil sis was ready to be born and she handled it like a trooper. She woke up bright eyed and ready to be a big sis, for she has been waiting for this moment for months now. 45 minutes later we found ourself at the hospital with Soph safely with the grandparents. 

Once I was in our labor and delivery room, my contractions started progressing, getting closer together and more intense. Since I was getting an epidural, I had to get a full IV bag in my body before I could get the epi. This seemed to take forever. The contractions were getting stronger and I was in pain. The anistigeologist was finally called, but my contactions only got worse. 

The first thing out of the anistigeologist mouth was "why didn't you call me sooner?" because I was almost at the point of no return. It took him four tries to give me the epi since my contactions were right  on top of each other. By the time they had me sitting up attempting to get the epi, I was having the urge to push. It's the most uncomfortable feeling I've ever experienced by far in my life. Finally, I was drugged and my body started to relax thanks to the epi. I was at 6cm and this was the point of no return, so I was honestly lucky that I got that epi. The nurse said that I had great control and could have had the baby without the epi, but all I could do was shake my head no and let my body rest from what it had just experienced. 

Unfortunately, I was having a bit of a low blood pressure issue. I couldn't lay on my back without it dropping and kept coming close to passing out, but the nurses were quick and able move me to my side (when you're having pushing intense contractions without any medicine, you can't move without help.) And after the epi kicked in, they had to give me a shot to boost it. 

Within 30 minutes of the epi, I was pushing and about 20 minutes after that we were the proud parents of another baby girl with a head full of hair. I mean a FULL head of hair. Tessa was born at 8:30 am - yeah, you read that right, I was only in labor for 4 1/2 hours. While I'm thankful labor was super short (Sophia's was only 10 hours, and I thought that was short) it was not with out stress and pain. Just another perk of bringing a new life into the world. :) 

Me and my girls! 

1 comment:

La La in the Library said...

So wonderful everything went okay and you have two healthy, beautiful daughters. Enjoy!